Saturday, January 31, 2009

Watercolor "Pour" Painting, WIP(work in progress)





Here are a few of the stages in the process of creating a watercolor "pour" painting. In the top photo, you can see the areas that I masked out with a liquid mask called Friskett. After lightly drawing my design, I first painted the areas I wanted to remain white with the Friskett....that would be the snow on the mailboxes, and the snowflakes falling, which I created by splattering the mask -out with my thumbnail and the end of a stiff brush dipped in Friskett . Then I proceeded to wet my paper with a brush and water at my sink,(which is neccesary before every "pour" , so the paint can move on the paper) and then took watered down watercolors paints which I mixed into separate cups ( first a yellow, then a deep rose, then a deep blue), and one at a time, actually poured the paint onto the paper, and let it cover the paper, in random ways, sometimes tipping the paper one way or another to direct the puddle. After letting the paint run off the paper into the sink... I'd let it dry completely, and then again, mask out the next areas I want to remain as is, before the next pouring of paint. With each subsequent pouring, I darken the paint in the cups.. so with each pour, the paint not only covers over whatever area has been left exposed(areas without the Friskett protecting them), but gets darker from the deeper colors. After the final of 3 to 5 pourings and maskings,, I am ready to peel off the Friskett, using a rubber cement pick -up... and see the almost finsihed product. I can then go back into the painting and carefully add details with a brush, while trying to maintain the fresh look of the poured paint. Next time I do a pour painting I will take pictures of the actual process.... so if this is totally confusing.. stayed tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Susie--

    I think it's great for you to describe how you developed a painting. We all learn from that. I enjoy playing with friskett also. Makes you really think about your work before you start. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for your comments, Terry. I'm glad you enjoyed my description of the "pouring process". It's not an easy one to describe without photos of the actual process.. but glad it was helpful to you! I teach watercolors, but also take workshops myself, and find that watching a demo.. can be so much more eductaional than struggling to figure out a technique on your own. The masking technique with Friskett is a lot of fun, isn't it? And it adds a new dimension to watercolor painting that just cannot be achieved simply thru the use of a brush. The only problem with it, as I'm sure you have realized, is that you have to be ready to continue working on the project within a day or so of putting on the Friskett.. it wants to come off within 24 to 48 hours or it will stay on your paper forever! I'd love to see what you've done with it.. if you'd like to send a jpg.. I'd be happy to post it here. Happy painting, Terry! ~ Susie

    ReplyDelete